Here are some great running tips from ASICS to help you prepare for the Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon.
8 Running Tips
- If you haven’t done a lot of running then start off on a small run, around the block or one lap of the park or school field and then slowly build up. You will be surprised at how quickly you improve.
- Train with others to make it more fun. The time always goes faster when you have someone to talk to!
- Mix it up – don’t do the same run all the time, find some new routes, find some stairs to run up, or do some sprints.
- Pace yourself. Don’t run too fast at the start or you might get a stitch.
- Always keep yourself hydrated, before, during and after your run.
- If you do get a ‘stitch’, slow down or walk for a bit, take long breaths, and place a hand on the area that is sore.
- Have a positive mind set – there may be times when you feel it’s too hard, prepare yourself with positive thoughts and self-talk to help you get through it. For example: “I am, I can, I will” and “breathe, believe, achieve”.
- Most of all have FUN!
Finding the right shoe for you
1. Make sure the shoes fit well – they shouldn’t be too tight or too loose, they should give your feet the perfect hug!
2. Get the correct support your feet need – does your foot roll inward or outward when running?
To find out make sure you are fitted by a sales assistant and have your foot checked. Getting the right support will help you protect your feet and stay safe when enjoying your run.
3. Make sure they are comfortable – really concentrate on how your feet feel before you buy them. Is your toe pushing up against the shoe, or your heel rubbing at the back?